Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lessons Can Be a Tough Reality



 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. -Matthew 7:2-5


How often do we approach those we love with this attitude? I know sometimes I am so quick to correct my brother or sister all the while I've got this huge problem in my life that is so big that I am blinded by. I have done a lot of figuring out who I am over the past seven months or so and I'm learning a lot. 


Lesson #1: There may be a plank in my eye, but I can't take it out by myself. I am very flawed. I judge people at the drop of the hat. I can't say why i do this because I really don't know. Not to give an excuse but I think I do it partly because I fear people judge me, so I just jump the gun. But, I have learned that I can't fix this aspect of myself by myself. I've got to reach out! God has been helping me work through this and he has given me people who can gently help remove this particular plank.


Lesson #2: There sometimes is more than one plank. This stinks! But its so true! I wish it wasn't. But we've got to walk through it together. There is no other way. We can not lean on our own understanding of how to help fix it though. We have got to look to our Father, Our Savior, Our Creator, Friend, Counselor, Comforter, Keeper, Redeemer, Brother, Love, Best Friend... Jesus! He understands! And one by one he'll get those planks out!


Lesson #3: Once the plank is out of your own eye, helping your brother/sister with the sawdust in their eye is so much easier. God has got it under control. He will use, with plank or without. He works however he wants! But he asks us to a little self evaluation before we go pointing out people's flaws. I've got to remember this so often!


I may not be the most thought provoking writer, but I don't necessarily write to provoke thought. My thoughts are provoked the minute I start writing. -Marisa Lynn

No comments: